Friday, April 9, 2010

shit for the ears...

CURRENTLY LISTENING TO: X-Ray Spex, The Quick('77), The Undertones, The Sparks, Gary Numan, Alice and the Bags, Dead Boys, The Stooges, Cockney Rejects, Cramps, The Jam. BUT I'm really a fan of Classical music, from all cultures. Here in North America, the original Classical music was Chanting, drumming and song by the Native people of this country(American Indians). Favourite Composers: For Violin-Niccolo Paganini(Concerto #1 in D), For Pipe Organ-J.S. Bach (Toccata & Fugue in D minor, in particular), for Cello-J.S. Bach (Suite no.1), PLUS these all time favourites: Modest Musorgsky-Night On Bald Mountain, Gershwin-Rhapsody in Blue, Claude Debussy-Claire De Lune(my personal favourite), Saint-Saens (Carnival of the Animals is genius), East Indian Classical Raga and the fusion of Sitar, Tablas and Electronic beats. I love FUZZ guitar, that really FAT 60s/70s fuzzy garage sound, like guitars with the Big Muff or Arbiter Fuzz Face, some 70s Prog Rock and most Rock with Piano(Bowie, Queen, Todd Rundgren, etc.) and 60s Garage, The Nazz, The Easybeats, The Yardbirds, The Seeds, The Smoke, The Sonics, etc...and since I was raised in the 80s, I love all the rare underground post punk new wave bands from that era. I LOVE the Clavinet (an electric Piano from those cheesy 70s love/lounge easy listening AM GOLD songs)(as heard on Captain and Tennille's Love will Keep Us Together). I realize they can be quite cheesy, but who cares....thats the point, its the humor that is produced that is incredible. And a sense of humor is worth more than any superficial pretty face. I'm NOT a fan or a groupie of ANY band, although I respect my favourites for being the classically talented musicians that they are. in fact I usually HATE going to see bands and feeling like I'm just there to worship on them and stroke their insecure egos like the blond bimbo next to me and accept them for their self-imposed "Coolness", get over yourself dude, you're just another wannabe hipster in just ANOTHER DUMB HOLLYWOOD ROCK BAND...ANYONE THAT WEARS A PUNK BAND SHIRT FROM THE MALL IS PRETTY MUCH A TOTAL POSEUR...BASICALLY THEY'RE SAYING.."I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT BEING A REAL PUNK, SO I NEED THIS T-SHIRT FOR YOU TO CATEGORIZE ME AND SEE WHAT SUBVERSIVE SUBCULTURE I WANT YOU TO THINK I'M ACCEPTED IN.." CURRENTLY THE MOST OVERRATED T-SHIRTS ARE 'RAMONES' AND 'MISFITS' SHIRTS(Bootleg shirts are available for $5 at the Alley Downtown, which actually makes those particular shirts kind of PuNk..=/)...THE PEOPLE WHO WEAR THESE USUALLY KNOW ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT PUNK MUSIC.(this doesn't apply to the real punks who know their music history and are the real deal) The only real punks you see out are the ones that wear their own home-made shirts and have their own style. YOU CAN'T BUY PUNK, it comes from the inside.Don't get me wrong...I LOVE music, but real music....not some cheesy cliche band that 'everyone' likes(I fucken hate stupid 'recipe' bands like HIM, that poseur Chemical Romance shit, and all that wanna be punk rock like Blink shit 182, Good Charlotte(WTF??!!), Green Day(Poseur Punk) and all those poseur bands that wear fashions from mall stores and all that emo shit and any crap band that exists soley to cater to stupid underage groupies who feel a need to 'belong' and 'be accepted' by some wannabe subversive clique, after all, HOT TOPIC already ruined and destroyed anything that used to be cool and underground by mass marketing it to every junior wannabe punkster in the country) Be Original. Be Classic. Do your research. In reality I pretty much hate everything that the mainstream likes and thinks has talent. BUT here are a few of my favourite musicians anyways that you probably have never heard of....Pandit Nikhil Banerjee(Sitar Maestro), Ravi Shankar, Shahid Parvez(Sitar), Allah Rakha(Tablas), Andres Segovia, Yo-Yo Ma, Itzhak Perlman, David Bowie, Mick Ronson, Randy Rhoads, Lou Reed, Deuter(german composer), Jason Falkner, ANDOR(on my tops). Lately Ive been getting into making electronic soundscapes on my KORG. I could list a ton of "cool" bands to try to get the acceptance of other people into that same kind of music, but I'm not a cliche, I like what I like....ok.....to quell your curiosity, here are just a few that are in my current playlist...Coil, Chris and Cosey, Psychic TV, Throbbing Gristle, Alien Sex Fiend, Einsturzende Neubauten, Meat Beat Manifesto, Clan of Xymox, Fields of the Nephilim, Switchblade Symphony, the Southern Death Cult, Death Ride 69, Gruesome Twosome, Orbital, Nancy Boy, Klaus Nomi, Japan, Grace Jones, Missing Persons, Vangelis, Giorgio Moroder, Jean-Michel Jarre, Jean Marc Cerrone, and Gustav Mahler. (PLEASE BITE MY TASTE and educate yourself)

1 Comments:

Blogger Deleted said...

there's a huge punk movement in Bordeaux France. Really cool music going on there. If you're still on myspace look up- The Magnetix.

I love classical music and a wide range of stuff too. ♥

May 8, 2010 at 9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home